I don’t know of any other t-shirt company that awards a prize as big as this. Of course, the UT Grand Prix is not an ongoing t-shirt competition but rather an annual event that is being held for the 5th time this year. If I am reading the Japanese correctly there have been 60,750 submissions over the last 4 years of which 166 were produced as t-shirts. Below is some information from their site. I think there is more information to come regarding the design application process but as the design submissions don’t open until July 15th I would concentrate on planning your next best designs.
- The Grand Prix will be awarded three million Japanese Yen (approximately $30,000 US/ ₤15,000GB). There will be other secondary awards as well and all winning designs will be merchandized globally in UNIQLO stores.
- Application period
- July 15, 2008 to September 21, 2008
- There are none, anyone, anywhere in the world can apply. (If you are under 18, and are selected as a finalist you must have parent/guardian approval)
- Selection Committee
- The UT Selection Committee is comprised of Mr. Kashiwa Sato (Art Director, Tokyo), Ms. Yayoi Kusama (Avant Garde artist) and 6 other industry professionals
- Evaluation process
- The UT Selection Committee will evaluate the T-shirt design submitted
Evaluation 1st Pass: We will announce the semi-finalists on the web at the end of October 2008.
Evaluation 2nd and final: We will announce the grand pix and secondary winners in Spring 2009.
- Application process
- Please see the UT website for a detailed explanation of the application procedure in contest.
Please comment with your real name using good manners.